Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Beret Annoying

As I wrote yesterday, I knitted away on my beret and was waiting for it to dry before I made any remarks.  It has probably dried by now, but Snotticus - the god of colds and coughs - has descended on our household with a vengeance, so I had no chance to poke the beret's inert form last night.

From that, you can probably detect that I was non too happy with what I produced.  Truth be told, the damn thing was so huge that I had nothing large enough in diameter in the house to block it over.  I'd tried it on, unwashed and unblocked and it drooped down over my shoulder. So, I spread it out on a towel, like a deflated something.  What that something was I have no idea, but it just looked limp and lifeless and somehow discarded.  This has played on my mind for over 24 hours.

Something had to be done.  Finally it dawned on me to investigate what others using this pattern have done and tada! - there are ERRATA for the book, including the blooming tam!  So, I merrily decreased every other row as per the book and it should have been every row. No wonder my top was huge,  So much wasted yarn, effort and time.  Gah!  The moral of the story is, of course, to check for errata.  And listen to your inner wisdom.  

Now I've got to find the end that I buried in my icord top knot and pull back to where the decreases started.  Then I get to play with the yarn all over again - yippee!  Maybe this time it won't take about 70g of yarn.......

I promise I will take a pic of the big ass monstrosity so we can compare it to the item of loveliness that will eventually spring forth from my circ (I am determined if not delusional), but for now, it's just words
blog comments powered by Disqus